As a caregiver, at some point you will have to assist someone with limited mobility. Wheelchairs are a common method of achieving mobility. In this course, you will learn the basics of operating a wheelchair, as well as safety tips on how to ensure that those you care for are kept out of harm’s way.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the characteristics of both common wheelchairs and power wheelchairs,
- Safely transfer a person to and from a wheelchair,
- Navigate everyday obstacles when operating a wheelchair,
- Safely transfer a person in a wheelchair to and from a vehicle, and
- Evaluate the best ways to handle incidents and accidents involving wheelchairs.